Wednesday, November 15, 2023

What do I do when I'm not writing, doing chores, or being sick?

 Dear Reader,

I will admit the three things listed in the subject line eats up a lot of my time. (Laundry = Sisyphus's Boulder, dishes too.) I am passably good as an abstract painter, though I haven't had the room to do it in years. I practice the fiber arts: spinning, weaving, embroidery, knitting, and crochet. I am still attempting to teach myself how to use a lucet and how to do naalbinding (also known as single needle knitting). I say I practice the fiber arts because my skills vary wildly between the different aspects. Some tell me that I am a proficient spinner, but I feel that I still have a great deal to learn and it is merely luck that I can draw out super fine thread from a batt of fiber. I am an utter novice at weaving, knitting, and I feel a fool for attempting to knit a sweater for my 16 yo son. It is taking forever.

I do cook. As a person with diabetes, it's been a challenge to adapt menus and recipes to my needs. Now that my husband also has diabetes, it is even more important to find things that work for us. Thankfully, neither of our sons have it. Type 1 diabetes is terrifying to me. We have type 2. Lately, Beloved and I have been going through family cookbooks to adapt favorite recipes. Getting ready for Thanksgiving is proving to be a long series of scientific experimentation with sugar subs. I rather dread cookie baking. I haven't done it in years because I became despondent over the results my first year with diabetes. I have a little more confidence and I'm going to try to work up some old family favorites with the hope they'll hold together when they come out of the oven.

I have a bit of an indoor garden that is hit or miss for good conditions. So far, everything that is supposed to be green is still green so there is hope for me yet. I gave up on my two outdoor gardens this year because the new neighbors just throw so much garbage in there it looks awful. May it be that next year I can get back to those two plots because they're such a mess right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment