Friday, November 10, 2023

A bit more rambling because my brain is fried.

 Dear Reader,

If I had a funny meme, a witty quip, or a really good joke, I'd post it. My ideas are off in the aether mocking me. I woke this morning after a night full of terrifying dreams of faceless people trying to kill me. I still shudder over it. I may work that into a story at some point. I have spent my day in pain because I somehow wrenched my shoulder in the night. This was right after I recovered from bursitis in my other shoulder. It's made me a bit grumpy. On top of this, I had forgotten that the kids didn't have school today.

Every time I went to write, there was a fight, demands for answers to odd questions, or just a lot of noise. It was exceedingly vexing. This is why most of my work happens when they are in school or during their time for electronics. I am unashamed to bribe my kids to give me peace and quiet. I am pretty sure this is an unspoken rule for all parents regardless of their child's age.

I think the oddest question that I got today was: Mom, what is the speed of dark?

One of the boys is taking a Physics class and they were discussing the speed of light. I have a degree that is evenly split between English and Physics. My response was to tell him to ask his teacher. It isn't exactly fair to the teacher, but I just didn't have the spoons to muster up a cognizant answer. I used to be a teacher a little over a decade ago. When someone threw that question at me, I gave some witty non-answer because there is no speed of dark.

My husband loves questions like that. His favorite one to annoy me with lately has been asking me what the one-way speed of light is. I usually respond that there is no lumniferous aether in space so it is a question that will never be solved. We're a happily married couple of nerds.

No comments:

Post a Comment