Wednesday, October 16, 2019

AW: Morning Blog Post No. 37

I'm not sure what to write this morning. I don't have time to leisurely post this entry. I have about twenty minutes before Beloved is up and we have to head out the door. I have a doctor's appointment about this damned cold. I think it's turned into a sinus infection. I've got bleeding from my nose and a massive headache that centers around one side of my face. I know it's not a migraine because I am not ready to vomit because the evil day star is too loud.

I'm horrified by what is going on in the country right now. I am equally horrified by things like how we've left the Kurdish people to be slaughtered. Syria is no ally to the Kurds and Turkey has had it out for them for a while. Let us not forget that the civil war in Syria is still ongoing and we've got Daesh still to worry about. Yes, I'm calling those terrorists attempting to establish a caliphate in the middle east Daesh instead of ISIL or ISIS. Two reasons why I am doing it. Daesh is the full acronym for the proper name of the organization in Islamic and it translates to something mildly vulgar (if I recall correctly). Secondly, I refuse to denigrate the sacred name of a goddess by associating her with their behavior. Isis (Aset) is a benevolent mother goddess and I am not going to be party to a bunch of terroist assholes taking her name and profaning it. Also, ISIL looks like a bad typo. Some acronyms make sense, others just look wrong.

I started writing the Umbrel Chronicles based on my fantasy life as a kid and how I attempted to escape the horrors that I was experiencing. As I have been working on this series, I am beginning to realize that the story is being influenced by the politics of our world. I'm not so sure I like this. Askemb was never supposed to be a cognate for any politician. He was supposed to be an encapsulation of all the people who had hurt me into one single figure that I could eventually slay by proxy. Instead, he's turned into something of a weather cock who turns his ambition towards what others suggest. Only his obsession with a single figure keeps him on something that vaguely resembles a solid course.

It hasn't been apparent in the last few books because I haven't gotten into the political intrigue of the story yet. Everything thus far has been set up for the first major conflict (which I am having trouble writing, hence book seven being stalled). From that first major conflict, we see that Askemb's hold isn't absolute and that the small folk and some of the nobles reject him. We see that the forces of evil are more insidious than a single monstrous figure here or there. But, I'm having a hard time getting to where I can illustrate that. As I am struggling over this in the world of fiction, I watch things unfold in reality that horrify me into stunned silence. And I'm at a loss for how to cope with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment