Tuesday, November 26, 2019

AW: Morning Blog 61

I am at 94k on my NaNoWriMo novel. I am frustrated with it because the story is turning out nothing like what I had intended. I wanted to write a romance novel. What I have is a romance plot buried under a fantasy plot which is beginning to gear up to get more weird going forward. Characters that I thought were going to last for a little bit fall by the wayside as others that were literally just background dressing for the scene are beginning to come to the fore. I have hit the first major plot point that I had planned, but it took me almost 100k words to get there. And the second plot point has been pushed off for an indefinite period while I deal with what was subplot mechanics that have turned into major plot elements.

This is not the story I had planned to write. I feel like it is a bit of garbage and a pile of politics with some actual story buried in it. I went from having two main characters to three. And it looks like the number of supporting characters is going to keep shifting as I write. It is infuriating because I had a distinct idea in my head as to what this was going to look like. It looks absolutely nothing like what I had planned except in the most vague of senses. I feel poorly about this because I wanted to write a love story that had fairy tale elements.

Now I'm writing a fantasy story that has love story elements. I know I can write is more than one genre, but this feels like I am stuck in just one genre right now. 94k and no idea how I am going to wrap this thing up. Just shameful.

No comments:

Post a Comment