Monday, November 18, 2019

AW: Morning Blog 58

Omnia's album The Naked Harp is absolutely perfect for the scene I'm currently working on in my NaNoWriMo project. The FMC and the MMC have just gotten married and they're at the feast celebrating the wedding. This is a plot point that I have been trying to hit for the last several thousand words. Ok, maybe several thousand is an understatement. I am at 70k words. I started at 20k. So, I have hit the magical 50k mark but this story shows no signs of slowing down. The plot that I started out with was simple. FMC arrives, MMC courts her, and they get married.

The plot I have now is complicated. The love story happens more in the background as these side characters I developed are stomping all over my plot with things ranging from:

  • attempted night time raid on the castle foiled 
  • boar hunt gone horribly wrong
  • boar hunt gone right
  • kidnapping of the marquess's falconing party
  • ambush of the ducal hunting party
  • rescue of the kidnapped falconing party
  • SO MUCH POLITICS
  • insane amounts of sass between secondary characters and MMC
The rest of the book is beginning to take shape. It looks like there's going to be another big fight between rival powers by proxy. The FMC and the MMC are going to have a weird relationship that's rocky in public to those who don't know them just because of how they relate to each other. They communicate in fluent sarcasm and sass. And the insane amount of politics is going to gradually wrap up as the FMC and the MMC get settled into their new roles.

I am realizing that some characters require names that I have been referring to most of the time by their title (i.e. Duke). I've been using that awesome fantasy name generator website to come up with place names and names that resemble legit old Norse and Irish names. I've been double checking the names and making sure that they're not vulgar words in modern languages as best I can.

The setting is pseudo-medieval England. There's elements of high fantasy that are just supporting details rather than features of the story. I think, however, the war by proxy is going to make that a bigger deal. I just hope that this story doesn't suck when I get it done and polished up.

No comments:

Post a Comment