Sunday, November 17, 2019

AW: Morning Blog 57

I'm not very satisfied with how NaNoWriMo is going right now. I feel like my story just jumps from scene to scene. I know that I can clean up the transitions and what not when I am editing it later. But I am not thrilled with it. I had a wedding scene I was looking forward to writing and the grand banquet that followed has turned into nothing but politics. I am annoyed with this. The focus of the fanfic this started as was the two main characters falling in love despite their differences.

That's sort of happened but I feel like it isn't very clear in the story. Again, this is something that can be fixed in the revision process. I just feel disappointed. I wanted to write something beautiful and heroic. A fairy tale of sorts, if you would. I don't appear to have captured that energy. There's a lot of grand, ripping adventure going on. But the otherworldly qualities of fairy tales just kinda fell out of my plot. Instead, there is a mass of courtly politics and violence.

I'm frustrated because of late, I sit down with an idea and the end result is completely different from what I started with. I have reached the point that minor throw away characters have turned into lynch pins for plot devices. I can't seem to force the story back onto track. I don't know if this is a good thing or not. I am just irritated that characters are moving out of their appointed spaces and changing plot. Granted, I did not have a firm plot in mind, but I did not plan a royal hunting scene to turn into an ambush followed by a raid on the bandits who did so.

It is like if I get stuck on something the solution is to throw violence into the story and see what happens. I don't know if that is going to make this a good story or just garbage. Hence my feeling dissatisfied and a little nervous about this story. I'm at 70k. I started at 20 because I decided that NaNoWriMo was going to be about finishing stuff I had started on random files in the laptop and that was the biggest filed I had. This thing is no where near finished and I have no idea when it will be done. I could just drop it and pick up another project. But I want to finish something this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment