Tuesday, April 30, 2019

AW: WK1: EX3

Time Travel: List three old enemies of your creative self-worth. Please be as specific as possible in doing this exercise. Your historic monsters are the building blocks of your core negative beliefs.[...]This is your monster hall of fame. More monsters will come to you as you work through your recovery. It is always necessary t o acknowledge creative injuries and grieve them. Otherwise they become creative scar tissue and block your growth.  - The Artist's Way, pg. 38

1. When I was young, [redacted] would take my diary and read it. Then I would get in trouble for 'writing lies'. I gave up keeping a diary because they would always do that. Never mind that what I wrote down was the truth and what was really happening in my life.

2. I had worked for months on a watercolor still life. When I brought it home, [redacted] scoffed at it and threw it away in the garbage. I almost gave up on painting because of how much that hurt.

3. As my grandfather was dying, I had brought a crochet project with me. I handed it to [redacted] for them to work on as they were sitting at his bedside. They looked at the yarn I had spun with my own hands and the very beginnings of a scarf. They said, "What is this? It's nothing." But they still took the project and added a few rows to it before giving it back to me insisting it should be ripped out and turned into something useful. I didn't work on the scarf project for almost a year after that.

No comments:

Post a Comment