Friday, October 5, 2018

Recommendation: Composition Notebooks

Dear Reader,

I'm going back to basics on this post. Composition notebooks, those ones you can get for somewhere around $0.50 during back to school sales and a dollar the rest of the year, are what I'm recommending today. They come in a variety of sizes. I confess, I have a fondness for the standard sized, college ruled ones. The faux marble cover is no longer industry standard, so you can find them with a wide range of aesthetically pleasing qualities. I like composition notebooks for more reasons than nostalgia for my time of academic pursuits.

The best composition notebooks have sewn bindings. The really cheap ones have a single signature but the stitching on those suckers are so hefty that they have stood up to literally decades of use in my experience. The ones that are a bit more expensive have multiple signatures and I'm sure would last even longer. I haven't really gotten into the notebooks with the perforated pages, but I am the same philistine that would rip out a page of a notebook to write down a phone number or a recipe to stick into another notebook that was across the room. My treatment of my notebooks is rather harsh but the composition notebooks have always stood up to the test of time and treatment.

No comments:

Post a Comment