Monday, April 16, 2018

Flora et Fauna: Real World Sketch

Dear Reader,

I can't see well enough to work on sketches right now. Or should I say, I can probably do stick figures but not much better. I'm wearing my glasses and a pair of cheapie readers on top of them right now to see across the room. My eyesight is supposed to improve over the next few months as my medications muscle control over my blood sugar. I'm currently typing this with the font super huge for me. For you, it will look like it usually does. All because of the stupid diabetes diagnosis at the beginning of the month. (I'm a tad resentful and angry about this. I'll work through it by killing of bad guy characters or something later. Until then, I'm going to just be a bit surly around the edges, mostly because I'm hangry.)

Attached is a sketch that I did on a day in September when it still felt like summer. If you're out my neck of the woods, there's a charming little park at the north end of Conesus Lake. It's called Vitale Park. The gardens there are cute. One of them has this water feature with a fish sculpture that rotates when the wind blows on it. As in, each fish moves freely. It's pretty cool. The water feature garden is in memory of someone's deceased child. On the windward side of the water feature, there is an assortment of ornamental grasses. I haven't any idea what any of them are called. 

If there weren't so many people around, I'm sure that the chickadees would love them as much as they love cattails. I'm fairly sure they were planted there to act as a windbreak to shelter the leeward side where the water feature is active and the plants there. I thought it was a charming scene to practice sketching with. So, I lucked out with a day of nice weather and went for a walk with my sketchbook and pencil. The above was the result. I apologize if it is difficult to view. If you click on it, it might be easier to see details.

No comments:

Post a Comment