Saturday, April 28, 2018

Book Review: Diary of Anaïs Nin Vol 1.

Title: The Diary of Anaias Nin, Vol. 1
Author: Anaias Nin Editor: Gunther Stuhlmann
Publisher: Harcourt, Brace & World, Inc., NYC Date: 1966

This covers the years of 1931-1934. I've heard of Nin as an amazing author of erotica and fiction. I've laso heard of her nearly legendary diary. I'm still working on obtaining her fiction, but the diary is available for me to read at the libary here in Wellsville.

The introduction states that Nin began writing as a child. Sounds somewhat like me.

Just started the actual text, the discussion of June Miller is facinating and the tone of the writing reminds me of my own writing. Henry Miller sounds like Rober Graves, a lover of the feminine eternal or the Muse.

[Edited to add: I forgot to write down additional comments. What I recall clearly is the fustrated sexuality of Anaias and Henry's relationship. Also, the rather... bitter feelings towards June Miller on the part of Anaias. Her descriptions of everything... even the flowers growing outside her house, were luminous and vivid. It's clear that she was a very visual person.]

Originally Published: 8/23/06

No comments:

Post a Comment