Thursday, May 19, 2016

Stepping out of the Comfort Zone

Today was a day much like any other for most of the people in my household. Beloved went off to work and did things great and small to keep things running smoothly there. The boys went off to school and did all manner of educational things (and had a little fun in the process). I started the day off just not feeling well because I haven't slept well in the last several nights. When I did finally manage to get all my ducks in a row and get moving, I discovered that the mail had arrived. With it all was a big, brown, cardboard box that I was actually expecting to arrive next week.

I opened it up and found that the handful of copies of my first two books in the Umbrel Chronicles had arrived. It was with great delight, I brought the first one on the pile to the gal down the road who had expressed interest in buying a copy just a few weeks ago. I walked into the restaurant where she works and at first she thought I was there for another one of their spectacular beef brisket sandwiches. I will be honest, if I hadn't had lunch a bit before then, I would probably have indulged. Their stuff is amazing.

When I held up the book, she lit right up like a kid getting the present they were hoping to get for their birthday. It was adorable. She immediately handed me a bit of money for the book and insisted that I autograph it. I was more than happy to do so for her. She asked me to keep a copy of the second volume aside for her to pick up when she finishes book one of the series. I think that the best part of my afternoon was watching how excited she was.

On Saturday, I am going to go out to the monthly meeting of the spinning guild I'm apart of. I will be bringing some of the books with me. I get to give my 'elevator pitch' to a room of approximately 100 people. I am not too great at public speaking. I think, however, I am going to do well. I have been rehearsing this pitch for a while. It is less a matter of landing a contract from some big publishing house and more a case that I want to get things sold by word of mouth.

I am a little nervous about this. I am also excited as all get out. I hope this goes really well. In either case, I just made my first sale today and I think that is an auspicious thing.

~*~*~*~*~*~

The large print version of The Dragon's Daughter is available for purchase as a paperback through Amazon. Here is the link. It will be available as an e-book sometime within the next two weeks. If you are interested in picking up a hard cover version, it can be purchased via Lulu. Here is the link.

No comments:

Post a Comment