Friday, May 27, 2016

Late in the Day.

It is nearly 10 pm (eastern time) and I am only just getting to writing anything on the computer. Admittedly, I could have been posting an hour ago but I was too busy getting caught up on Facebook drama. (If you are in the NaNoWriMo group, check out the horse gif that is making the rounds. All I could think when I saw it was 'Oh, that's Stormchaser with anyone OTHER than his chosen people.' Stormchaser has an attitude. Even the animals are characters in my books!) I suppose I could have taken this lap top with me when I was out and about, but there really is nowhere to plug the thing in at the park. And, to be honest, running the fan to keep the apartment below the mid-80s was a higher priority than typing things.

Today was long and tiring. The boys had off from school. Like I said, we went to the park and were there pretty much all day. I was surprised to see that there were very few families out today. I know it was really hot and humid but I can not fathom keeping the kids indoors all day. When I wasn't watching my eldest try to swing the highest he ever had on the swing set or my youngest attempting to build the largest 'mountain' out of sand, I was writing in my journals. As I was writing, it struck me that I could be making better use of my writing time.

Most of my writing is unplanned and free form. This makes for some awkward moments and a great deal of inconsistency. I apologize for that. When I was sitting and staring at my journal, desperately trying to think of something to write, I realized that I had the most success last year with more organized writing. I realized that giving myself some sort of structure to work within made for easier effort in producing the work. This thought kept bouncing around in the back of my mind this evening as I was looking at stuff about art journals. (I am seriously considering starting one in the vain attempt to finally get my sketches done. I had this mad idea that I may actually make a few illustrations to slip into a book or something. I have my tools but I've just been intimidated by it all and have done nothing on it.)

I can not promise that there will be a huge burst of work produced over the next few days. I have two very active boys who suck up a lot of my time. I also am in the midst of preparing to set up a possible book signing at some point over the next two months. This matter of promoting my own work is a bit more challenging than I thought it was going to be. (Which is hilarious considering that I am a social-phobe who didn't think I had to meet the public to sell stuff. Irony: lighting the world one supernova at a time.)

No comments:

Post a Comment