Monday, November 15, 2021

AW: Morning Pages No. 83

 I do not have enough coffee in my body to make my brain work at 100%. I might be a bit dependent on it now. Coffee is a comfort 'food' for me. At college, I suppose we drank it by the gallon. Good coffee, bad coffee, instant coffee ... it didn't matter, we drank it to power our way through all night study sessions, wake up after said sessions, and keep moving through the day. I supplemented my prodigious coffee intake with soda as well. It was a common sight to see me bolting across campus to class with a bottle of soda in hand and my backpack bouncing on my shoulder.

You'd think that I had a number of bottles of soda explode when I opened them after such treatment but it only happened once. And the situation was so ridiculous that my instructor was laughing too hard to continue lecture for a moment. There I was, sliding into my usual seat in the front row on the extreme right about five minutes late for lecture. I had slept through my morning alarm and missed breakfast. So, on my way through the building to class, I paused at the campus book shop to buy a bottle of soda and a big ol' bag of gummy bears. I then ran up three flights of stairs. (It was a minor miracle that I didn't trip and die.)

I got to the classroom during a pause in instruction as the professor was writing stuff on the blackboard. I snuck in and slid into my seat. As I did so, I attempted to be stealthy about opening my morning wake up beverage. The bottle hissed for a bit. Thinking it was safe, I then fully opened the bottle. A plume of soda went up into the air and landed in the open bag of gummy bears instead of hitting the floor or going all over me. The instructor had turned at the sound of my releasing the pressure off of the soda bottle to say something to me about it. She watched the minor drama unfold and my look of utter dismay at the cola soaked gummy bears. Then she started laughing. A few of my classmates looked at me in confusion. 

Once lecture resumed, I thought I was safe. On my way out of the classroom, the instructor stopped me and said, "You really need a more nutritious breakfast than candy and soda." I blushed and stammered something about not having time to stop at the dormitory's cafeteria. Then she said, "Well, next time, make it a smaller bottle of soda this way you can drink it from the bag if it happens again." I regularly had similar mishaps and I think I got a reputation among the faculty and staff of where I attended college as the one to watch for a chuckle. The times where my clumsiness made me into a bit of a buffoon were plenty. The times where I narrowly avoided disaster despite my clumsiness were equally frequent.

No comments:

Post a Comment