Friday, January 29, 2021

Recommendation: The Dresden Files Series.

 Dear Reader,

If you're not familiar with Jim Butcher's The Dresden Files series, I strongly encourage you to jump in and enjoy. His use of dramatic tension is exquisite. His description of Chicago may not be entirely accurate because he takes a few liberties, but his version of Chicago is gritty and tough. Butcher uses fantasy as pivotal plot elements and dramatic set pieces for the action of the story to take place. As far as the urban fantasy genre goes, you are going to have a hard time finding someone who can handle the blending of the fantastical and the realistic with such a deft hand.

It's hard for me to pick a favorite book out of the series. His skill is such that each book works as a stand alone novel and as a component in the over all arc of the series. I'd sing the praises of the most recent one out but I don't want to give away spoilers. (It was really, really good.) I may have consumed the whole book in one day and forgot about my reading journal because I was so engrossed in the story. I'll try not to do that next time. 😃

Rating: 10/10

No comments:

Post a Comment