Friday, January 4, 2019

Book Review & Reading Notes: A Slip of the Keyboard.

Terry Pratchett was a genius. Let's get the obvious out of the way here. I have decided that I must read the entire Discworld series now. I've read Wee Free Men and Maskerade. I thought they were fun books. Now that I am reading A Slip of the Keyboard and getting a glimpse of the man behind the books, I need to read them all. So, I guess that's my reading goal for this year. The whole series and any of the side books that go along with it. Fortunately, Beloved has it all loaded up on the Kindle for me.

As I am reading A Slip of the Keyboard, I am finding myself examining my own struggles and writing habits. It is surprising to find how much I have in common with him. I think that the first short piece in A Slip of the Keyboard describing a day's work did more than make me laugh. It made me say, "Hey, the pros struggle with getting stuff down on paper too. And they also struggle with shiny object syndrome and fall down rabbit holes of research too." (Shiny object syndrome is encountering an interesting idea or object and feeling compelled to investigate it at the expense of what ever you were working on to begin with. Started out as a running joke between my husband and I as he was playing games on the PS2 and he's getting distracted from the main theme of the game by collecting loot.)

No comments:

Post a Comment