Sunday, January 28, 2018

Book Review: The End of Time

Title: The End of Time: The Next Revolution in Physics
Author: Julian Barbour
Publisher: Oxford press, New York Date: 1999

The initial premise set forward that time is separate from the operation of physics is interesting, but I'm not convinced. I will have to say I agree that Unified Field Theory will need to exclude time as currently described. I'm sure this will be an interesting read.

Now = collective reality?

I've just finished The End of Time. Interesting little book, nice mathematics, pretty pictures and a stunning aray of gross verbage and bullshit. The author's entire argument is circular, coached in a comprehensive discussion of the rise of quantum physics.

He argues that time is an illusion, one that is precieved due to psycho-physical parallelism. By this argument, time is different for beings with different metabolisims and does not exist for that which does not observe it. It brings up the old paradox of the tree in the woods.

I'm more inclined to argue that our perception of times varies but time itself is universal and behaves much like space. It would be a separate dimension that we are only mearly aware of. I suspect a sect of boundry conditions due to the construct of this universe limit our ability to travel in time. To be honest, I'm beginning to suspect that time travel would only be possible in the event of moving to a different universe. No, rephrase that, in a different universe.

Originally Published: 8/23/2006

No comments:

Post a Comment