Thursday, November 8, 2018

Slogging along.

Dear Reader,

I don't know how the nonfiction authors do it. This is exhausting work. And yet, there are nonfiction authors who churn out a book in a couple of weeks. Yeah, that's right. Less than a month. This thing I'm working on right now, I started about three years ago. I got stuck and put it down for about a year. Because I kept fact checking and fact checking, even after I had finished my research. Perhaps the problem is I am anxious about getting this right. Perhaps the problem is that I am just anxious about branching out into new to me genres.

I have been struggling but I am almost at my goal. I'm currently at 46.9K words. My goal is 50. If I was writing straight up fiction, I could have hit that in the last two days. I'll be honest, I have spent way more time double and triple checking facts this week on my nonfiction projects than I have spent writing. I will confess, I had written out notes and an outline for both projects. For one, those went missing. Which one was it? Yep, the big project. It's been a nail biter for me because I want to get everything right. I feel like I'm revisiting college and working on a final term paper.

Still, I'm working hard to do my best here. And that's all anybody can ask of you, right. When I picked this thing back up to work on it, by the way, it was at 39K. Averaging around two thousand words a day is on track for NaNoWriMo counting, but I know I could do better if I could just stop being so anxious about this. The worst part here is the fact that I'm writing on a topic that I have blogged about extensively on another blog of mine for the better part of three years. I've probably written two and a half books worth of material through all of those blog posts. But making a novel length book on the topic has me half panicked I'm going to mess it all up.

I'm a bit of a perfectionist and I have an anxiety problem. Can you tell it effects my writing?

No comments:

Post a Comment