Monday, March 1, 2021

Flora & Fauna: Feather Fern

 

Dear Reader,

As you can tell, I'm back at sketching things. I'm not pleased with how this one came out. I really need better pencils because the leaf colors came out uneven due to the No. 2 pencil I used to outline everything smearing and smudging as I was filling in with color. I may have to go shopping for a decent set of colored pencils and give my collection of random inexpensive ones to the kids.

Feather Fern is a diminutive plant. It grows in deep shade, like on a forest floor. Feather Fern prefers rich soil with good drainage. The root structure is pretty close to what you would find for most real ferns. (I also suck at drawing roots, so I cheated and didn't do it.) Feather Fern makes good tinder when it is dried out.

It is reasonably good ground cover in shady spaces. It doesn't have any medicinal properties or folk uses aside from being a good fire starter. But it was kinda easy to draw.

No comments:

Post a Comment