Tuesday, March 17, 2020

I think I'm done editing. I think.

Dear Reader,

I think I finally finished editing the little book that I'm writing for the Filianic and Déanic faith community that I am apart of. That was arduous and irritating. For some inane reason, each time I uploaded the document new errors appeared. Errors that were not in the original document. Like my table of contents completely disappearing. Like fonts getting changed or suddenly becoming unavailable (which was really weird because just about everybody uses Times New Roman). I was beginning to think the damn project was cursed or something with how many times I had to tweak and re-upload with the prayer that it wouldn't magically develop another issue.

I am having difficulty getting Lulu.com's site working with my browser. It keeps telling me that I have the wrong version of Flash for me to use all of their features. As a result, I am working with KDP's site. Maybe it was because Mercury was retrograde through the entire time I was working on this. Maybe it was because of demons. I don't know, but this was a  process that made me wish that I had somebody else fighting the computer and all I had to do was just write shit.

I suddenly understand now the pull of traditional publishing. Editing was painful and it was a small text. Uploading was a headache again and again. Then there was the process of making the cover and working out a decent blurb. It was ridiculous. I really think that there are bugs in the KDP platform and that's why things like random font changes happened. I'm trying to get Lulu's site to play well with my computer because I prefer Lulu's format. But until I can get it sorted out, I just have to keep kicking KDP in the teeth when it tries to alter my books with out permission.

Anybody with more experience using KDP's platform have suggestions to get its interface to be more cooperative please drop me a note in the comments. In the meantime, I have another book to edit and prep for release. Still also on KDP and it's still a headache but I'm closing in on being finished with that project too. It's another Filianic/Déanic book (actually the paperback of the digital book that is dropping on Saturday).

I'm urging people to go for digital copies because of the pandemic. I figure computers can't spread COVID-19. That way everybody in the chain of supply for the paperback books is a little bit safer with a few less books to handle.

No comments:

Post a Comment