Friday, June 7, 2019

Book Review: Smoke and Mirrors

Title: Smoke and Mirrors: Short Fictions and Illusions
Author: Neil Gaiman
Publisher: Avon, 2005
ISBN: 0380789027

I did not have the paperback on hand so I can not review the quality of the physical book. As it is from Avon, I'm sure it meets or exceeds industry standards because Avon puts out good work. On the Kindle format version, I found it easily readable with the typefont chosen and the spacing of everything. The division between chapters/stories in this book flowed naturally. Everything was well organized and a delight for the eye.

To get to the meat of the matter, I have to say the text was a delightfully dark read. I especially loved Mr. Gaiman's take upon the world created by H.P. Lovecraft. There is not one but two short stories set in this world and it was just wonderful to see how he treated it. I would go into greater detail about the other stories but then I would give away plot by accident. I have enjoyed Mr. Gaiman's approach to longform fiction. This introduction to his approach to short form fiction was exceptional and I look forward to reading his other collection of short fiction, when I can get my hands on it. The plot of each story was unique and not formulaic, even those dealing with the well established world of H.P. Lovecraft's invention. Some of the darker tales had twists that were unexpected. The bittersweet tale of the magician was excellently well crafted and haunting. It is perhaps the best example of how Mr. Gaiman can turn a story's plot on its ear with out breaking the story at all.

Originally Posted: 6/7/2019

No comments:

Post a Comment