Sunday, July 16, 2023

Craft of Writing: Bringing it Back to Basics.

 Dear Reader,

First, I wish to apologize for my lack of posts. My life has been hectic and I have been dealing with a fair amount of off-line trouble that has kept me from posting. Instead of writing inspirational bits for you, I am going to share with you what I am working on with my son as I am tutoring him this summer to get him ready for 11th grade. (Where the hell did the time go? It seems like yesterday he could barely scribble with a crayon. Now he's working on writing his own novel by hand.)

I will be breaking things down to a point that you may feel like it's a review of elementary school material. There is a purpose for this process. Writing anything is like making a building and you must know the fundamental tools and materials of your process in order to succeed. A special focus will be placed on figurative language's relationship to the rest of English. My sons both have difficulty with figurative language and I notice that there are others who have trouble with it as well as I am out and about. 

Before we get to figurative language, however, we're going to be looking at sentence construction and paragraph construction next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment