Wednesday, October 26, 2022

Grinding your way forward does not match well with sickness.

 Dear Reader,

I was pretty seriously sick for most of the period that I wasn't updating here. I kept starting blog posts and then giving up because I couldn't think clearly to put together a sentence. Then I caught Covid. At first, I vainly thought that it was going to be a mild case because I'm vaccinated and I got my booster shot. Then came the dizzy spells that threatened to knock me down. There was a laundry list of symptoms that showed up over the first few days that I had it which made it harder and harder to function. No matter how strong your desire and will to do things, they're no match to dizzy spells that make you feel like you're on a tilt-a-whirl. And the exhaustion, oh good grief, I still have some of that fun lingering. (My go to solution for being tired in the morning did not work. I was drinking coffee because it soothed my sore throat it was odd.)

Sometimes, you just can't grind your way forward. The situation will force you to stop and rest. It will thwart your desires and possibly shake your confidence. In these moments, attack in the opposite direction and take cover. Rest, stay hydrated, and let the hellishness pass over you. Your work will still be waiting for you as you wait for the hallucinations stop. And, you never know, somewhere in the midst of the misery that you thole, you may find gold that you can use somewhere else, if you can remember it.

If you're not well, take care of yourself. The great work can wait until you're back on your feet.

No comments:

Post a Comment