Wednesday, September 30, 2020

Line edits are exhausting.

 Dear Reader,

This religious text I'm working on has reached the first major editing milestone: the first round of line edits. It is just arduous to sit and go through this thing line by line. It reminded me that I have to slow down when I am typing or I make lots of typos. I'm making progress at it. I know that what I'm working on is going to be considered heretical by the orthodox sects. At the same time, it's going to make some goddamn sense when you read it. No more faux archaic language cluttering the page. No more sentences that are a full paragraph long series of comma splices. No more sentence fragments just hanging around in irrational space.

Someone in the past claimed that the bad writing was actually poetry. I'm sorry, but, no. The writing was actually that bad. So, I'm giving it a full makeover so that you can actually read it. The places where it isn't supposed to be prose are going to be sectioned out and visual distinguished from the rest of the passage. I'm just frustrated that this thing is consistently so messy despite there being at least four different versions. The original hand copied one I can't get to the digital archives for it because the site went down. You'd figure someone along the way would have read it over with a critical eye and say "Hey, we can't really read this that well. We should fix it." I don't know, maybe I was destined to be that person.

It makes me feel like I should go back to editing book V because I know that I have complete sentences to work with there nine times out of ten. *headdesk*

No comments:

Post a Comment