Wednesday, July 21, 2021

The Iron Lily (Part 28): The Black Priest

 Halthor woke in the small hours of the morning when the traveler's rest had a cold draft blow in. Halthor sat up on the fire warmed sleeping platform and looked over. In the ruddy light of the smoored fire, he saw a man that wore the colors of the priesthood of the goddess. This confused him, as only women were in the service of great Roen, goddess of all life. As the man took off his furred hat and approached the fire, Elwis sniffed the pack he had set down beside the door when he entered.

Halthor stared at the man in amazement. His skin was a dark color that Halthor had never seen before. "Are you a man or a spirit?" Halthor asked quietly. The man gave a good natured laugh.

"I am Khasis, servant of the Lady and guest of the High Priestess of Roen. She sent me east to seek out the one who bore the arms of the Iron Lily," he said as he pulled off his mitts and stretched his hands out to the fire. "Ah," he sighed, "For nine days, I have been traveling over hill and dale. It would have been ten if that storm came to the mountain but it moved north of us. We were fortunate." Khasis looked over at the red eared dog.

"You, dog? We meet again," he said, "Last time I saw you, Freystein was passing through the valley going north. Tell me, dog, have you found what you were looking for?" Elwis trotted over to Halthor and sat beside his feet. Khasis gave Halthor a critical look. "This is a builder with a shield, not a hero," Khasis scoffed. Elwis surprised Halthor and Khasis by giving a low growl. Khasis raised his hands in a gesture of surrender. "Alright, dog, be offended. If it pleases you to name him hero, so be it. I don't see it," Khasis said, "I just see another poor soul trying to stay warm in this gods cursed weather. Ah, to be in Dacia. At least it was warm in the desert."

"You were traveling in the dark?" Halthor asked.

"An old habit, if you're traveling long distances in the desert, do as much in the night as you can to avoid the heat of the day," Khasis answered, "The snow glows like the sands do in the light of the three children of Julara. Now, give me your name, builder, as I have given you mine and names have power and should not be given lightly."

"I am Halthor Sigridsonne," the red haired builder answered cautiously.

"Victory's son? Perhaps he is the one you sought, dog," Khasis said, "Tell me, did you come from the city of Starhaven?" Halthor nodded. "Then there is hope for this scribe of the Lady and his adopted homeland," Khasis said, "I come with a message from the High Priestess of Roen. She bade me to tell you not to give Olerand his great-grandfather's arms but pledge yourself to them."

"I am a builder, not a knight," Halthor said with exasperation.

"I am a scribe, not a priestess," Khasis answered, "And yet, I live as they do in this land under the eye of their leader and as a servant to her will. And through her will, do I serve my Lady."

Halthor lowered his head and cradled it in his large, work worn hands. "All I know is how to build things," Halthor muttered, "Knights have been fighting all their lives."

"And yet you have fought mighty battles on your way here," Khasis answered, gesturing at the shield.

"I had no choice," Halthor snapped at him, his head whipping upright, "I've had no choice in any of this."

Khasis crouched before the fire and looked thoughtfully into it. "Sometimes, my friend," Khasis said almost too quietly to be heard over the crackling of the smoored fire, "We have no choice because the gods have put us on a path that is like a river, ever flowing that will drown you if you fight it." Khasis looked over at Halthor. 

"I have been here for three years. I have not seen my homeland in seven. I don't know how to get back to Dacia. I have had no choice in any of this myself. Sometimes, we have no choice but go where the gods send us," Khasis said, "Now, we must rest. Tomorrow, I shall go with you to the village of Applewood. The priestess there will house us and tell you the way to Olerand's lands. For if you continue south as you have been, you will find yourself back in the mountains and in another land."

No comments:

Post a Comment